Pages

Friday 22 May 2015

Women on the Verge on a Nervous Breakdown

I had planned to see this gem of a show playing at the Playhouse Theatre at the Embankment in June, after seeing the excitement surrounded by it at the Oliviers earlier this year. 

However, plans quickly changed when I received an email telling me that this show was closing on Saturday 23rd May! Despite much upset, I managed to get a lovely little bargain to see the performance with my mother on Wednesday afternoon.

Outside the Playhouse Theatre.
Knowing nothing other than the vague plot line that was given on their website, this musical took place in Madrid in the 1970s about a lady named Peppa, who was magnificently well portrayed by Tamsin Grieg. Admittedly, I had not seen her in anything else but she surprised me in her acting and made me laugh with tears at her unfortunate circumstances that materialised throughout the show. 

We first meet Peppa as she awakes and realises she is late for work. She has taken a strong dose of sleeping pills. Catching a taxi to work, we learn that she is an actress for the TV and an image in the public eye. Grieg's frantic nature shapes this character rather well, resulting in the audience being able to make a judgement on the sort of person Peppa is.

Waiting for the performance to begin.
The story unravels, revealing her husband Ivan has disappeared and has not been seen for two days. He has left her for another women, we soon learn. Peppa later meets Ivan's ex-wife (Lucia), a lady Peppa did not even know about, whilst she was married to Ivan. This character is played manipulatively well. She is in the background for the majority of the Act One. In Act Two, Lucia comes to life as we see someone who is also as mental as Peppa. She tells the audience of the past 20 years she has had to deal with Ivan not being in her life. Lucia outlines that she will be going to court over the ordeal of Ivan. Peppa also meets his son, and FiancĂ©. 

As the plot thickens, the audience simultaneously meets Peppa's best friend, Candela who has a love affair with an Arab, and learns from the television that he is a terrorist.

Comical and light hearted, Women on the Verge was an abstract performance, embodied with Spanish tunes and dancing. A daring new show in the West End that has unfortunately not taken off. I really would have loved to have seen Hadyn Gywnne as I worked with her in Billy Elliot, alas she was not performing on the day. 

I would tell anyone to catch the show whilst it is still on in its final two days. It also reassures yourself that there are situations out there more complex than you're own!

The finale.
On our way out, I literally bumped into Jo Brand, as my Mum and I were heading to the Savoy to book tickets for Gypsy with Imelda Staunton and to have some lunch! I politely asked for a photo and she said yes. She was such a lovely lady.

Jo Brand and I along the Embankment.
Have you seen the show, or ever bumped into anyone famous whilst you were out?

Kirsty

xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment