Pages

Saturday 24 January 2015

Edward Scissorhands at Sadlers Wells

On 11th January, I went along with my family to Sadlers Wells in Islington, North London, to see Matthew Bourne’s adaptation of Edward Scissorhands. We went to the afternoon performance, which was the last show of the run. Dominic North was playing Edward and there was heightened tension in the air due to last show nerves and giving it their all before the tour began in Woking two weeks later. 

On arrival, my parents both had photos with the cardboard cut out that was displayed upon the entrance and as we took photos, more people followed to take photos. We then made our way to our seats to see the holographic name of the production on the stage, projected, for everyone to see. 

My Mum and Dad
Mum and Me!
The stage before the curtain arose!
The first act was an hour, and it flew by so quickly! The most obvious thing to point out firstly is that there is no talking in the production and feelings and thoughts are all displayed through dance. We quickly learn the plot line of the show. Edward dies and many crowd round his tombstone to mourn his death. Later, we then see a workshop where an inventor creates a doll. The doll is rather different to a normal childs toy. Edward has scissors for hands. With the fantasy of lightening, he comes alive and becomes a living person. He escapes out the window, and makes his way to a traditional classic town in America.

Matthew Bourne very much epitomises the classic things expected in an area where society compete with each other. The idea of ‘keeping up with the jones’ came to mind. Matthew shows that if one family member does something, then the next door neighbour equivalent would stride to get something better. Moreover, we see the secrecy in a town where we see there is an affair going on behind the scenes of ‘happy families’.

We go on a journey with Edward as we learn through his solo dance before the end of act one, that he is in love with Kim, a teenager of the family who takes in Edward. They try to fit him into society as normally as they can, aware that he has scissors for hands. They take advantage of this and he cuts hedges majestically to create animals out of grass, only to envy the surrounding neighbours. 

Throughout the show, I never once see a dancer falter and they appear strong equally with strong technique. We learn that Edward is only trying to fit into society. Out of all the shows Matthew has directed over the past few years, I believe Edward Scissorhands is by far my favourite.


The cast list of the day I saw the show.
After the show had ended, my sisters, parents and I went to Whitechapel for dinner. We had Nandos, whilst I celebrated my last evening with them for a while. It was a lovely day, in which I very much enjoyed myself.

My dad decided instantly what he would have.
Did you go to see anything over the Christmas or New Year period?

Kirsty
xxx

1 comment:

  1. All my family had a lung infection over the Christmas Break so been very quiet haha I've nominated you for the Liebster Award and you can check out the post here if you'd like: http://edoublemamurray.blogspot.com.au/2015/01/the-liebster-award-again.html

    Em xx

    ReplyDelete